[lbo-talk] Latvia - Economic crisis spawns mass protest

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 10:34:41 PST 2009

Personally, I think the Georgian government's actions in August opened a lot of eyes in the EU as to the true character of the regimes they were flirting with in Georgia and Ukraine. I think this has a lot to do with the very different media coverage of the current gas dispute and the last one. (And every one going back to 1995.)

(From what I know of Latvian politics, I would imagine most of the protestors themselves are pretty rightwing, so if a rightwing government got into power it wouldn't be a backlash from their POV but the intended outcome.)