[lbo-talk] How Politics Ruined My Life: Was Fuck Hope

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 14:29:32 PST 2009

Somebody's politics are completely irrelevant to the quality of their artistic output, as is their personal morality. It's a tekhne, a craft. Might as well refuse to admire desks made by right-wing carpenters.

The Richards outburst doesn't bother me that much. He got pissed off and decided (stupidly, quite possibly drunkenly) on the spur of the moment to attack people in what he thought would be the most offensive way possible. Vulgar and juvenile, but not intrinsically different than if he had, say, shouted "your mother's a whore!" People do shit like this. I actually doubt very much that he's a racist.