[lbo-talk] Speaking of Celine...

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 16:44:06 PST 2009

I thought I'd give him a try in French, and got Journey to the End of the Night. See this for a taste:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=pNF66OI692UC&dq=celine&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=HQwUGIR9Hi&sig=rAleenB_sCocanoftSyrt5YLg90&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PPA9,M1

I thought it was very beautiful; the English translation doesn't quite do it justice. The problem is that it's chock full of slang; I don't know French slang -- perhaps too, it's slang specific to the 30's.

Anyway, if anybody could recommend a French slang dictionary that would actually have Celine's words in it, I'd appreciate it.

(Didn't see much trace of Fascism in anything I read by him so far.)

Joanna