[lbo-talk] How Politics Ruined My Life: Was Fuck Hope

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 16:52:36 PST 2009

Okay, I really don't want to cause any more trouble. As mentioned politics has shaped a lot of my ehmmm stuff. It has screwed up relationships, even the futbol teams I support... i know, i know irrational, but hey...

for instance, and this is not to cause trouble... but doug made a good point somewhere... as a failed journalist/photojournalist i have what i think is a very highly developed and critical eye for black and white photography... let's say i find a portrait, brilliant composition, excellent reproduction on the best paper - a true masterpiece. but the picture is of hitler... ehm, seriously, there's no fucking way in hell i would put that picture on my wall.

of course watching Raymond is silly, as is not wtching it for political reasons... but, i admit, i am deeply ideological... the thing about "kramer" ... there was an article in Harper's magazine about a decade ago in which (i am not making this up, but the details are somewhat sketchy) someone was asked/requested/expected to play a role, or say something that was racist, or that stereotyped latinos... the directors/producers said something like, "aw don't worry, it's just a tv show"...

just so you don't think I'm an angel, seinfeld is on as we speak ... sorry

Aluta Continua!

________________________________ From: Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org; lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, 14 January, 2009 18:20:38 Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] How Politics Ruined My Life: Was Fuck Hope

At 03:10 PM 1/14/2009, Chris Doss wrote:

> It's irrelevant. A beautiful desk (theoretically) can have Nazi swastikas as a design element (as Riefensthal's rather gorgeous films in fact do). It's still beautiful. Do Pound's politics make his poems any less beautiful, or Wagner's his music? Of course not. It's silly.

Privileging "beauty" in evaluating or experiencing art is, if not silly, at least problematic, not to mention limiting.