[lbo-talk] How Politics Ruined My Life: Was Fuck Hope

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 18:23:50 PST 2009

I'd recommend Orwell's "Writers and Leviathan"--as well as many other of his articles --in connection with this thread (http://www.orwell.ru/library/articles/leviathan/english/e_wal) --

"I often have the feeling that even at the best of times literary criticism is fraudulent, since in the absence of any accepted standards whatever — any external reference which can give meaning to the statement that such and such a book is ‘good’ or ‘bad’ — every literary judgement consists in trumping up a set of rules to justify an instinctive preference. One's real reaction to a book, when one has a reaction at all, is usually ‘I like this book’ or ‘I don't like it’, and what follows is a rationalization. But ‘I like this book’ is not, I think, a non-literary reaction; the non-literary reaction is ‘This book is on my side, and therefore I must discover merits in it.’ Of course, when one praises a book for political reason one may be emotionally sincere, in the sense that one does feel strong approval of it, but also it often happens that party solidarity demands a plain lie."

_________________________________________________________________ Choose the perfect PC or mobile phone for you http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/130777504/direct/01/