[lbo-talk] rednecks disappearing!

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 19:12:56 PST 2009

I have to say, in principle I find this nationalistic stigmatization of a particular group dubious. And as a redneck myself am mildly offended--now that I live in enlightened NYC it is apparent that liberal claims of superiority are mostly phony. Take racism. In my home town--Elko, NV--of course people are verbally racist. On the other hand I've never heard of or observed prejudicial police harassment--'white trash' Latinos and Native Americans are more or less harassed equally. Here, if you spend any amount time in an African American neighborhood, you see it everywhere. I've pointed this out before, but the situation has not improved, enlightened liberals go on pretending they don't notice. And what about the ghettoization of the city--the effective segregation in schools--the destruction of community gardens? Where does this enlightenment manifest itself?

Incidentally, people in my home town consistently vote Republican because it is in there interest to do so--it's a gold-mining town and historically the price of gold has been higher under Republican administrations (not that I personally consider the Democrats a worthy alternative), probably not coincidentally do to HW Bush having a major stake in one of the mines. But there is also a healthy mistrust of the government there, which I think is good in principle, even if it leads, undeniably, to some silly actions such as the Jarbidge Shovel Brigade.

I think authors like this need to do some homework before libeling large sectors of the public; people who are just struggling to get by like everyone else.