[lbo-talk] rednecks disappearing!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 21:17:54 PST 2009

As I think you know, though, the 'healthy distrust of government' is channeled not into a healthy distrust of authoritarian relations generally but into the selective libertarianism of disliking "government" where "government" is code for affirmative action and Great Society-type programs, while blind to "government" as represeted by the military, police, prisons, DHS, wiretapping, militaristic foreign policy, and the like. There's still some Harlan County USA type stuff out there, but it's not as prevalent as Joe the Plumber.

-B.

Peter Ward wrote:

"But there is also a healthy mistrust of the government there, which I think is good in principle, even if it leads, undeniably, to some silly actions such as the Jarbidge Shovel Brigade."