[lbo-talk] Gaza and anti-Semitism

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 09:17:44 PST 2009

> In his NYPL debate with BHL, Zizek makes the point that anti-Semites
> can love Israel, because it collects all the Jews in a single place,
> far away, and because - and this is of course more provocative -
> creating a militarized Jewish state undoes so many of the things that
> anti-Semites despise about Jews (or their fantasy of The Jew):
> rootlessness, cosmopolitanism, intellectualism, radicalism, etc.

Although those features continue to haunt some of the less savory criticisms of Israel - talk about "the Israel lobby" has a tendency to reproduce the old slanders as well - and talk about "dual loyalties" even more so. The Jews were always accused of disloyalty to the nation on account of a spectral Jewish Nation, now that that's entered into the physical world, is not the charge all the more plausible? (The idea that America disregards "American interests" in the I/P conflict seems pregnant with this.) Obviously Israeli Jews aren't really the symbol for anything the Jew in Europe was for some centuries, but certain criticisms of Israel really do mask a hatred of the latter.

There's something interesting to be said here with respect to the fact that the Palestinians are now the paradigmatic stateless people, but I don't know what that interesting thing is.