[lbo-talk] Rosa Luxemberg

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 12:45:33 PST 2009

John Norem posted:

REMEMBERING ROSA http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,601475,00.html

John Gulick replies:

Too bad the author of the Der Spiegel piece doesn't say anything about the legacy of Luxemburg's thought in the analysis of capitalist development. Although I don't buy her "underconsumptionist" take on the contradictions of value in motion, her famous conclusion that metropolitan capitalist reproduction depends on the penetration of the "external arena" made its imprint on the dependistas, and Wallerstein's claim today that world accumulation is nearing its historic end (in part because peripheral labor reserves are drying up, an odd claim as far as I'm concerned) also betrays traces of Luxemberg's framework. And ecological Marxoids have even creatively appropriated her to make their respective cases that global capitalism unsustainably replies on the exploitation of the world's natural resource and biospheric commons.

_________________________________________________________________ Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail. http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_howitworks_012009