[lbo-talk] How Politics Ruined My Life: Was Fuck Hope

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 04:03:55 PST 2009

If I refused to enjoy the products of people with views alien and/or repugnant to my own, this would close of all of human artistic production created before around 1800. Bad Dante! Bad Homer! Evil Voltaire! Down with Shakespeare!

I can also extend this to people whose personal behavior I don't like. After all, their personal behavior is not totally sealed off from their intellectual production and must have influenced it. Picasso beat women -- no more Guernica for Chris! Althusser WAS A MURDERER -- no more For Marx on my bookshelf!

I really can't believe people advance such totalitarian arguments seriously. It's infantile. (PS: left-wingers don't know the Truth either.)