[lbo-talk] Gaza and anti Semitism

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 06:01:24 PST 2009

I'm not sure if a state-level analysis is the best way to go, here. Suppose the jokes were formalized and Israel actually were the 51st state. What would change? A lot would change, obviously, but I'm not sure any of the important things would. We (and Europe) have a lot of economic, cultural, and genealogical links to Israel. If California were an independent republic under seige by indigenous terrorist groups, is there any doubt that the Western 47 would support them? Israelis live and look like us and Palestinians don't.

It may very well be that most policy analysts are smart enough to recognize that the mere presence of "bearded, bomb-wielding fanatics who scream anti-American slogans" doesn't equate to American interests, but I don't think either that most policy analysts are die-hard realists! They have moral commitments beyond the strength of the state they got born into. And so it the West, or industrial capitalism, or the white race, but for most Americans there's a We that's under attack that transcends state borders, which is why pro-Israeli commentators use the language of civilization and barbarism by default. It's totally irrelevant to national interest that Hamas subscribes to a misogynistic ideology, but it seems to be pertinent to what Americans care about, or it wouldn't be mentioned so often. IIRC, other than Arabs, the only US demographic that claims to sympathize more with the Palestinians than Israelis are Blacks (and they're a pretty evangelical lot!)