[lbo-talk] Huffington Post: "take on" Social Security

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 07:33:42 PST 2009

Obama reiterated this line when he met with the Washington Post yesterday. He was also queried on employee free choice:

Obama Pledges Entitlement Reform President-Elect Says He'll Reshape Social Security, Medicare Programs By Michael D. Shear Washington Post Staff Writer Friday, January 16, 2009; Page A01

President-elect Barack Obama pledged yesterday to shape a new Social Security and Medicare "bargain" with the American people, saying that the nation's long-term economic recovery cannot be attained unless the government finally gets control over its most costly entitlement programs.

[ . . . ]

The president-elect also gave his support for legislation that would make it easier for workers to unionize, but he said there may be other ways to achieve the same goal without angering businesses. And while many Democrats on Capitol Hill are eager to see a quick vote on that bill, he indicated no desire to rush into the contentious issue.

"If we're losing half a million jobs a month, then there are no jobs to unionize, so my focus first is on those key economic priority items I just mentioned," he said. "Let's see what the legislative docket looks like."

[ . . . ]