[lbo-talk] How Politics Ruined My Life: Was Fuck Hope

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Jan 16 17:10:45 PST 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 1:50 PM, dredmond at efn.org wrote:

> Adorno's point was that Wagner is very much the progenitor of the
> modern
> culture-industry. Auteur madness, expensive budgets, bloated works
> of art,
> hobnobbing with elites, scripts fawning on the Wilhelmine Empire -
> pure
> Tinseltown.

In 1964 I read Adorno's "Versuch uber Wagner" and found it a totally wrongheaded work filled with jealous spite. Dennis's summary of Adorno, consisting only of stupid anachronisms, demonstrates his worthlessness. "scripts fawning on the Wilhelmine Empire" indeed--every Wagner libretto was drafted long before the very conception of the "Wilhelmine Empire!"

Shane Mage