[lbo-talk] Empty and meretricious

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Jan 20 16:04:03 PST 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 5:00 PM, John S Costello wrote:

> Your memory missed the line immediately before this one, which
> referenced "the lash of the whip".
>>>
>>> Obama lauded those who fought at "Concord and Normandy and
>>> Khesan." Not
>>> a word, of course, about the thousands of African-American slaves
>>> who threw
>>> off their chains to fight and die against the revered slavedriving
>>> Founding
>>> Fathers...

I was referencing his litany of archetypal American battles, not seeking out every one of his many ugly and repugnant phrases. If I had, I would certainly have included in a foremost place the one you reference:

"For us, they packed up their few worldly possessions and traveled across oceans in search of a new life. For us, they...endured the lash of the whip..."

Shane Mage