[lbo-talk] Obama and the Cult of Personality

C W Sedley cwsedley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 16:07:46 PST 2009

I think the spectacle of the current inauguration should be constitutionally formalised. Every eight years, at the winter solstice, the old, decrepit president should be chained to the base of the Washington Monument, where a frenzied crowd can beat him to death with their shoes. Then, as the dawn's first rays appear, the new, young president-elect should emerge from the water of the reflecting pool clutching a sword, ready to give a short speech about how he was summoned to Earth by the thoughts and dreams of his subjects, etc. He can use the sword to sacrifice an elephant and a donkey, and then be paraded through Washington DC, his face painted with the mingled blood of the two animals to symbolise the unity of all Americans with each other, and with him.

The miraculous ritual vote can even absolve penitent Republicans:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2009/01/your_take_22.php

"In the past, I wouldn't have classified myself as anything even close to resembling an "informed voter" and as a result, cast two votes for George Bush. Now being rather ashamed of those decisions, but more importantly, furious at what the last administration did with those votes, I vowed to change. This cycle, I kept as informed as one could and proudly cast my vote for Barack. It was as though the guilt of the past eight years was lifted."

Some scholars claim that once the ballot paper is put in the box, it actually becomes Obama's flesh.