[lbo-talk] Cockeyed Optimism

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 18:08:52 PST 2009

Something about mass murder makes one throw out ordinary conceptions of reasonableness. I predict that within five years, the US President will be channeling Reagan's line to Gorbachev and lecturing the Israelis: "Mr. (or Mrs.) Prime Minister, Tear Down this wall." Or perhaps someone will be seized by reluctance to keep borrowing from the Chinese to help the Israelis finance absurd and dysfunctional security barriers, security buffers, constipated trade-constricted checkpoints, and terror bombing.

I still have not made it through the whole Zmag thing yesterday and the carpet bombing to terrorize civilians and deter bigger foes thread is wandering about in my head along with the absurdity of the proposed tunnel alternatives.

Hamas lobbing rockets is just Hamas refusing to oblige the Israelis and just disappear. Neither the Israeli mass murder nor the Hamas rockets are providing meaningful self-defense, the former because it is overkill and the latter because it is just annoying enough to antagonize everyone and not very lethal compared to all the trouble the rockets cause.

DC (who has to go lecture my very own state Senator about why co-sponsoring a one-sided rah-rah Isreal resolution is neither the best thing he can do with his time in our age of crisis nor my idea of defending human rights.)