[lbo-talk] Kaiser Permanente ousts anti-union security contractor

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 21 22:24:33 PST 2009

Security Officers win historic victory as Kaiser Permanente ousts irresponsible contractor

by Ron Moore, DC Special Interests The Examiner January 19, 2009

Security officers responsible for protecting patients and staff at Kaiser Permanente medical facilities nationwide won a major victory over an irresponsible security contractor after a three-year struggle where officers seeking to join SEIU faced threats, intimidation and termination for union support.

Kaiser Permanente replaced the irresponsible contractor, Inter-Con, with a new contractor called Securitas, a company that is union in many industries and client sectors throughout California.

"We are thrilled and relieved that Inter-Con's scare tactics that we've endured for over three years will finally come to an end," said LaRhonda Lynch, a security officer at the Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center. "Now we can decide for ourselves to join with SEIU so we can raise standards and improve security at our facilities."

Since November 2005, 1,500 Inter-Con security officers in California have been working to improve security and working conditions by forming a union with SEIU. They are the only workers at Kaiser--either direct employees or subcontracted--who do not have a union. The new contractor, Securitas, has committed to hire the security officers that currently protect Kaiser's facilities and has previously ensured that other officers in California had a fair process to form a union with SEIU.

Inter-Con officers work for poverty wages, many making as little as $10 per hour while at Kaiser. Most do not have paid sick days and many do not have any health insurance. By comparison, security officers employed directly by Kaiser have paid family health care, paid sick leave, and a pension.

Supported by SEIU Locals SOULA 2006 and 24/7, Inter-Con security officers went on strike last summer and have been working to convince Kaiser Permanente to switch to a responsible contractor. The new contract will cover 1,800 workers nationwide, 1,500 of whom protect Kaiser facilities in California.

Over the last three years, over 7,000 security officers across California have joined SEIU and improved their working conditions, wages and health care coverage. In 2008, security officers with SOULA Local 2006 in Los Angeles and Local 24/7 in Oakland won first contracts that are among the best ever for security officers. Total compensation--wages and health care--increased by nearly forty percent.

"With our nation's economy in crisis, it's more important than ever that hardworking families have good-paying, stable jobs that provide the opportunity to move into the middle class," stated California Assembly Majority Leader Alberto Torrico. "Kaiser has done the right thing by replacing a contractor accused of violating the civil rights of workers. Now these workers will have the chance to earn a decent wage and have the health care that they need to support and care for their families."

http://www.examiner.com/x-2071-DC-Special-Interests-Examiner~y2009m1d19-Secu rity-Officers-win-historic-victory-as-Kaiser-Permanente-ousts-irresponsible- contractor http://www.examiner.com/x-2071-DC-Special-Interests-Examiner~y2009m1d19-Secu rity-Officers-win-historic-victory-as-Kaiser-Permanente-ousts-irresponsible- contractor