[lbo-talk] Blather Watch (cont.)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 22 11:36:30 PST 2009

Steve Weissman | Hopes and Fears for Obama's First Year http://www.truthout.org/012209A

Steve Weissman, Truthout: "The excitement over America's new president is growing, even here in the backwoods of France. Over dinner last week, a completely apolitical and non-religious British friend compared Barack Obama to Jesus Christ, while my favorite French magazine waxed lyrical on Obama's 'cool.' As an old-time Doubting Thomas, I have never felt that kind of enthusiasm for any political figure, but the significance of Obama's election struck me in an unexpected way."