[lbo-talk] You hush up

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 13:30:38 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net>wrote:

> Hush up? Is she using black speech to say it's not about race anymore?
>

> <
> http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-oe-brooks22-2009jan22,0,127795.column
> >
> http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-oe-brooks22-2009jan22,0,127795.column
>
> From the Los Angeles Times
>
> Opinion
>

> Critics of Obama's speech missed his point -- inclusiveness
>
> The president didn't talk about black or white people, he just talked about
> all of 'us.'
> Rosa Brooks
>
> January 22, 2009
>
> Keep quiet, please.
>
> Yes, you members of the chattering classes who can't stop dissecting Barack
> Obama's inauguration speech and finding it somehow wanting. It wasn't
> soaring enough for you! It was full of cliches! It invoked George Washington
> but didn't even mention Abraham Lincoln! Or Martin Luther King Jr.! It
> didn't talk about race!
>
> You hush up. You're talking so loudly you can't hear the echoes.
>
> Obama's speech was just right. You could see that from the tear-streaked
> faces of so many of those gathered on the National Mall on Tuesday, people
> who had stood for hours in the cold January wind just to be there, part of
> history.

No, shut-up is what all of us are supposed to do in the face of the new awe-inspiring, and epoch changing leader of the free world. Criticism is not allowed, especially from the left.

In fairness, there is always someone around to tell us that we are doing wrong when criticizing a president, especially a new one. But now instead of the Limbaugh's telling us to shut-up, it will be the liberals.