[lbo-talk] Abortion protest fail

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Jan 23 10:31:53 PST 2009

At 09:08 AM 1/23/2009, Sean Andrews wrote:

>I am comforted, on the other hand, that they were all made to pause by the
>question; they may not have thought about what would happen to the
>mothers, but their first impulse wasn't to send them to prison.

Those so prompted may ask around and learn that, in the past, the doctor was punished -- which is partly what was behind the movement to reply anti-abortion laws in the first place. Since there were exceptions for mental and physical health, and since wealthy women could often pay their way into the exception, and since laws varied around the country, physicians got together to get the laws repealed. They wanted an end to the ambiguity.

Were they to go that route again, that would probably be a reason why physicians would fight any attempt to reinstitute these laws -- since an absolute ban an all abortion would be impossible to pass.

Which is why these jokers settle for piecemeal erosions of abortion access -- even while claiming they want an absolute ban. And it's also why they spend so much time shaming women. I loved that one woman's answer, paraphrase, "it depends on whether the woman knew she was murdering an undead baby."

Right. *rolls eyes*

Assholes.

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws