[lbo-talk] Death of last Irish member of the International Brigade

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 10:42:57 PST 2009

Death of last Irish member of the International Brigade

COMMUNIST PARTY OF IRELAND

James Connolly House,

43 East Essex St,

Temple Bar,

Dublin 2

23rd January 09

Bob Doyle

12th February 1916 - 22nd January 2009

It is with great sadness that we have learned of the death in London of Bob Doyle, who was an active participant in the Anti-fascist war in Spain 1936- 39. He was the last surviving member of the Connolly Column of the International Brigade.

Bob was born in North King Street,in Dublin city, where he grew up in a family of five children. In his adult life, his commitment to world peace and social justice was an example to all. Right up until his death Bob traveled across Ireland and to Europe speaking at many meetings, so as to inform and inspire the younger generation to honour the International Brigadiers and, to stand up for social justice and world peace.

He remained a committed anti-fascist, peace activist and a communist to the end. Bob remained active in politics up to a very short time before his death.He recorded his life's work in a wonderful biography "Brigadista- an Irishman's fight against fascism." We express our sympathy to his family. He lived his long life without regrets.

We salute his memory.

Eugene Mc Cartan

General Secretary

http://www.communistpartyofireland.ie