[lbo-talk] Waterboarding etc.

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 12:57:56 PST 2009

Sheldon Baker writes:

But what is wrong with simply acknowledging that one faction of the bourgoiesies' political agents are better in some areas than the ultra- reactionary faction that just left power? Alot of you are just so holier than thou sometimes.

JG responds:

Sheldon, you don't get it. I'm not suggesting there are no differences between the two (as it were) factions, nor am I trying to score purity points. On a list like this we take it for granted that the Repubs are reactionary cretins, and thus save our breath. If leftists/left-liberals/ pwogs are actually committed to what they say they're committed to -- putting pressure on Obama to ensure that vague prospects are translated into real gains -- then it's incumbent upon them to call out Obama when his "reformist" policies are more symbolic than actual. It's as elementary as that.

If you have a problem with the factual content of my posts, then indicate where and how. It's certainly plausible that I've made erroneous claims; I don't follow this stuff 24-7. But to me it seems counterproductive to issue a rebuke when what I'm doing is refusing to pass Obama a blank check.

_________________________________________________________________ Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail. http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_howitworks_012009