[lbo-talk] Brockes does Roubini

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jan 25 14:00:16 PST 2009

On Jan 25, 2009, at 2:58 PM, John Gulick wrote:

> I see the need for product differentiation here. On the analysis of
> the crisis
> how do position yourself differently from Roubini, apart from the
> obvious facts
> that 1) your analysis is quasi-Marxist is his ain't and 2) he seems
> to significantly
> overanticipate the extent to which the Geithner-Summers squad will
> come up
> with bold departure type solutions. (And no, comparisons of gonad-
> bedecked
> artworks don't count.)

I'd say we - capitalism, not the working class and allied intellectuals - need a new social structure of accumulation. Neoliberalism's shot. Obama et al don't seem to know that yet. With the credit system busted, you can't use borrowing to offset a further attack on living standards, so something resembling social democracy with green tech as the dynamic economic sector seems rather essential. Not that we're politically capable of getting there, of course.

Doug