[lbo-talk] Giuliani: I hope Obama has read Amity Shlaes

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 26 11:30:26 PST 2009

On Jan 26, 2009, at 2:21 PM, James Heartfield wrote:

> They reported that Roosevelt's regime was the closest to America
> ever came to Fascism. Young people were dragooned into work camps,
> and put under military discipline by the Civilian Conservation Corps.

That's surreal. My father was in the CCC, and he loved it. His family was broke, living in an unheated house in Jersey City. Along came the CCC and he went off to the southwest - by choice! where did this "dragooned" thing come from? - did some useful work, and sent some money back home. He still talks about enthusiastically it 75 years later, and never misses the chance to say we should do it again. Where does this shit come from?

Doug