[lbo-talk] Giuliani: I hope Obama has read Amity Shlaes

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Jan 26 11:35:39 PST 2009

It's no secret that many of FDR's brain trusters found inspiration in what Mussolini was doing at that time in Italy. Mussolini's example appealed because it seemed to show the way towards a form of state capitalism. The Federal government would take on a greatly expanded role in the management of the economy, while protecting the property rights of capital. It seemed a viable alternative to the Soviet model.

And of course there was the example of Germany which seemed to be well on the way towards economic recovery as the result of Hitler's policies.

During FDR's first term, the CPUSA often denounced the New Deal as "fascist." Then starting in 1936, they became among the staunchest supporters of Roosevelt.

Jim F.

-- "James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: A while ago I read over the International Council Correspondence coverage of the New Deal. They reported that Roosevelt's regime was the closest to America ever came to Fascism. Young people were dragooned into work camps, and put under military discipline by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Trade Unions were either attacked, or incorporated into the state machine. In the war that followed monetary wages rose, but with more production directed towards armaments and heavy industry, real consumption fell while working hours went through the roof. Paul Mattick's far left analysis sometimes seems to meet the right's scepticism about the new deal, but I think he had a point. ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk

____________________________________________________________ Click for free info on rehab treatments for drug & alcohol dependency. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw2ZDsX3xMKjWvtGcr7KuuL2dHQ8EDBZoAkK6HGN7rG8JjIfL/