[lbo-talk] Waterboarding etc.

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jan 26 12:54:16 PST 2009

>> whew! I thought you were going off the deep end for a moment.
>> Question,
>> though: I'm unclear how this relates to grandiose narcissism.
>
> There's a way in which in embodies a perverse pride in being the
> citizen of The Absolute Worst Place on Earth. It's American
> exceptionalism with a negative sign.
>
> Doug

I dunno. I always took Carrol's disagreement with Dennis Redmond as indicative of the fact that he doesn't think this at all. Moreover, Carrol has never struck me as someone who'd figure capitalism as a place, where bundled up in all that is the rejection of all things American. There are lefties who are like that, I suppose. I've sometimes fancied calling them self-hating u.s. lefties -- of the sort who pre-emptively disparage all things u.s. culture in order to get a jump on anyone else and demonstrate their special, unique separateness from the unwashed masses of u.s.ers.

But Carrol doesn't strike me as someone who does that, let alone think it's po9litically expedient to do so.