[lbo-talk] Waterboarding etc.

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 15:43:19 PST 2009

Michael Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:32:02 -0500
> SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> For example, the assumption seems to be that Obama is surging forces
>> into Afghanistan now because this is somehow an imperative for running
>> "the empire." As far as I can tell, though, Obama is doing it just
>> because he promised he would in the campaign. And he made the promise as
>> a way to signal to the electorate that he wasn't a peacenik, in light of
>> his pledge to withdraw from Iraq. As far as aggrandizing an American
>> empire is concerned, I can't think of a place less relevant to doing
>> that than Afghanistan. (During the Cold War, Afghanistan was the
>> standard example people would cite of a place that was strategically
>> irrelevant for America. We ended up sponsoring the Mujahideen to give
>> the Soviets their own Vietnam; what we're doing today is more likely to
>> end up giving ourselves one.)
>>

> Irrelevant Afghanistan, then, has cropped up twice in my lifetime
> as a theater of great-power activity, and famously attracted the Brits'
> attention during their tenure as top country. It's odd, isn't it, how
> these imperialists keep getting themselves distracted by irrelevancies.

Yup, it is. The first time in our lifetime it was because fundamentalists were threatening a pro-Soviet government there, so the Soviets invaded. They did that because Afghanistan is relevant for *Russia*: It was right on the Soviet border and it had the potential to stir up Islamic fundamentalism within the USSR. The US sponsored the fundamentalists - again because Afghanistan is relevant for *Russia*. They wanted to give Moscow a black eye.

The second time - you'll never believe this - Afghanistan happened to be harboring terrorists who attacked New York and Washington. If it had been Angola that was harboring the terrorists, the same thing would probably have happened there. (Another strategically irrelevant place we got involved in in our lifetimes, incidentally.) As for the British, Afghanistan was definitely relevant to them because they really cared about India. As soon as Michelle Obama is crowned Empress of India, I promise I'll acknowledge the vital strategic importance of Afghanistan to the United States.

> I'm not sure I quite understand the argument that SA is making here.
> The _public_ wants these wars (Story Of O is just keeping a campaign
> promise)? Or do the managers of the nation just somehow blunder
> into these things,

I'd suggest thinking about it the same way you think about Obama's domestic policy. Why is he blundering into a multi-billion dollar stimulus package? Tax cuts? Bank bailout? Health care overhaul? Why is he blundering into not recognizing gay marriage or requiring hedge fund registration? Are all these things in the president's "job description"? Would John McCain have done all of them identically, since after all the president's imperial "employers" have certain expectations? Or are these things done as the result of a process that involves Obama's own personal preferences and desires, interacting with the preferences of voters, lobbies, and policy intellectuals? (I.e., just how it looks like on teevee.)

SA