[lbo-talk] Black Liberation prisoners in parole limbo

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Jan 27 09:58:58 PST 2009

California and New York are still keeping Jalil Muntaqim and Herman Bell from getting back to NY to work on and attend their parole hearings. The current target for letters etc. is Gov. Paterson.

From: Jalil A. Muntaqim, aka Anthony Bottom January 8, 2009

Dear Friends and Supporters:

First, I wish to extend a Happy New Year to each of you, despite the economic problems due to the implementation of Milton Friedman’s economic policies in the United States.

Secondly, I want to thank you for assisting and supporting my application to NYS Governor David A. Paterson for commutation of sentence. The “Phone for Parole” campaign is having an effect, especially in terms of broadening support for U.S. political prisoners. Like an internet chain letter, the “Phone for Parole” campaign has been promoted on various list serves across the country and overseas. We need to further expand and broaden this campaign within the next six (6) months until Governor Paterson grants the application.

I was scheduled to see the parole board for the fourth time in July 2008, however, since I am being held in California I have been denied an opportunity to appear before the parole board. The NYS Division of Parole will not grant a parole hearing without the physical presence of the prisoner. This matter in California is not expected to conclude before mid-2010, which means I will have missed two parole appearances – 4 additional years of incarceration when I could have been released on parole, essentially adding to 37 years of imprisonment.

Governor David A. Paterson has the power and authority to commute the NYS sentence and parole me to the S.F. warrant. Unfortunately, this will not happen without increasing public support urging Governor Paterson to do so. Thus far, the Honorable Archbishop Desmond Tutu and 6 Noble Peace Prize Laureates issued an International Call for the release of Herman Bell and me on humanitarian grounds. Various European and Latin American governments have released their 1960’s,’70’s and ‘80’s political internees who were militant revolutionaries. Even Zionist Israel has periodically given amnesty to militant Palestinians releasing them from prison. Yet, the U.S. government has failed to release many BPP/BLA [Black Panther Party / Black Liberation Army] prisoners who were victims of illegal FBI Cointelpro operations. Obviously, without a serious campaign of national significance U.S. elected officials and authorities will continue to deny parole or release of these New Afrikan U.S. political prisoners.

As in the famous words of Fredrick Douglass, “Power concedes nothing without a demand, it never has and it never will.” This is the task before us, and our success depends on continuing and expanding the “Phone for Parole” (phone/fax/e-mail) campaign directed to NYS Governor David A. Paterson. With your continued weekly support, victory is certain!

Remember: We Are Our Own Liberators! Yours in struggle –Jalil

"Phone for Parole!" every Monday during Black History Month. Let us commemorate Black History Month by calling or faxing for the immediate transporting of Jalil Muntaqim and Herman Bell for parole hearings.

Please look at the attached letter for more details. Feel free to use it as a basis for your fax or phone call.

Honorable David A. Paterson Governor of the State of New York State Capitol Albany, NY 12224 FAX: 1-518-474-1513, or 1-518-474-3767 david.paterson at chamber.state.ny.us phone: 518-474-8390

Dear Governor Paterson: I call upon you to immediately approve the already agreed upon transfer of Herman Bell and Anthony Bottom (aka Jalil Muntaqim), back to New York State custody to attend their parole hearings.

Mr. Bell and Mr. Bottom have been languishing in the San Francisco County Jail for over two years. Their case is at least four months away from preliminary hearings, but red tape continues to block the implementation of their transfer. The San Francisco County Jail does not have the proper facilities or capacity to hold people for an extended period of time, and two years in sub-standard living conditions, woefully limited visits and little to no access to proper medical care or activities has had devastating effects on Mr. Bell and Mr. Bottom and their families.

Both of these men have been incarcerated for over 35 years and are model prisoners. Their return to New York State is essential in order for them to be present for crucial parole hearings. It is unfair and cruel to deny them this right.

Additionally, Mr. Bottom has submitted a fully documented application to you for clemency/commutation of his New York sentence. Please do not allow Mr. Bottom's custody in California to lessen the urgency of acting on his compelling case.

Please act now to end this injustice.

To keep up with the SF-8 case, check out or sub to this list: http://freedomarchives.org/pipermail/cdhrsupport_freedomarchives.org/2009-January/thread.html

------

Jenny Brown