[lbo-talk] 60 Minutes/West Bank

turbulo at aol.com turbulo at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 13:27:43 PST 2009

Have I acquired a hitherto uncharacteristic penchant for wishful thinking, or did Bob Simon's "60 Minutes" segment on West Bank settlements this past Sunday night represent another breakthrough (in addition to Jon Stewart) in American media coverage of Israel/Palestine? The segment did nothing more than relate a truth known to just about everyone otside the US: that the steady growth of West Bank settlements makes a two-state solution virtually impossible. But that this was said on a major network news program in prime time (and by a Jewish correspondent who endured anti-Semitic taunts from his Iraqi captors during the first Gulf War) seems to me unprecedented. Did anyone else see this? Does anyone share my opinion as to its significance?

Jim