[lbo-talk] Putin v. Dell

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 28 13:46:54 PST 2009

<http://valleywag.gawker.com/5141408/vladimir-putin-taunts-michael-dell>

NERDFIGHT Vladimir Putin Taunts Michael Dell

By Owen Thomas, 4:28 PM on Wed Jan 28 2009, 216 views

Dude, Russia's not getting a Dell. That's a polite version of what Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, Russia's testy KGB agent turned autocrat, told Michael Dell in Davos. Dell's sin? After Putin delivered a fiery 40-minute sermon about the doom of the West, Dell asked if there was any way his company could help Russia with its computers. Yes, he gave a tacky sales pitch at the high-minded World Economic Forum. But he didn't deserve the tongue-lashing Putin gave him next, as reported by Fortune: "We don't need help. We are not invalids. We don't have limited mental capacity."

Ouch! That's almost as bad as the time someone asked Dell what he'd do if he ran Apple, and he said he'd shut it down and return the money to shareholders. Apple is now worth four times as much as Dell's company.