[lbo-talk] so much for post-partisanship

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Wed Jan 28 17:09:45 PST 2009

Michael Pollak wrote:

> There might be some political payoff to having wooed them so publicly
> and assiduously (and getting them to say in public that never before
> has any Democrat gone so far in reaching out to them) before voting
> against them party line. Maybe this won't turn out to be an entirely
> soft-headed strategy in the end. Maybe this unity talk has more guile
> in it than it's been given credit for.

Maybe, or maybe Obama underestimates party discipline on the other side of the aisle. Maybe he has mistaken for an obstreperous minority what is the party core, mistook their very identity for a exhausted tactic. Maybe he simply can not, as a matter of temperament, understand fanatics.

I don't have a deeper argument at the moment, but that is my first thought after the House bill passed with zero Republican votes.

Shane