[lbo-talk] Jon Stewart's bailout idea

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Jan 30 06:35:18 PST 2009

On Jan 30, 2009, at 2:40 AM, JC Helary wrote:

> On vendredi 30 janv. 09, at 01:52, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>
>> Instead of giving the money to the banks directly, give it to The
>> People, with strict provisions to use it to pay down their
>> debts ... to the banks. So the banks get the money anyway, but at
>> least our credit cards and mortgages are back to zero. Also, this
>> makes a lot of "toxic" stuff a lot less toxic.
>>
>> Genius :-)
>
> Wasn't that pretty obvious from the beginning ?
>
> How come nobody in the House has started fighting to get that ?

Ever since Solon showed it could be done, abolition of debts has been the #1 nightmare of the ruling class (ever since the Gracchi an "Agrarian Law" has been the #2 nightmare). That was the charge by which Cicero convinced the Senate (except Caesar) to murder Catalina and his friends. It is the text and the subtext of the Federalist Papers. Nothing could be more unAmerican (ie., uncapitalist). But since it has to be done, and the politicians will never do it, the people will just have to accomplish it in the do-it-yourself way.

Shane Mage