[lbo-talk] I say banana, you say bikini (was: those exotic Iranians)

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Wed Jul 1 06:18:43 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 23:40 -0500, Sean Andrews wrote:

> Point being: of
> the two, the Peruvian thing seems to be a much closer to home (i.e.
> reaction against actual US norm being imposed--one which contradicts
> those basic democratic freedoms which are implicitly presumed to exist
> within the good ol usa) yet Iran carries the day, both here and in
> broader US culture.
>
> Possible reason for this:
> 1) ongoing: fine I'll give you that. But what made it go on? Why now?
> 2) graphic images: Iranian gov't vs. web 2.0
> 3) incredibly powerful forces w/in US/Israel that would like to see
> Iran re-taken

A couple more: 4) Scale: the Iranian protests were huge. The Peruvian protest seems like a much smaller scale event than the Iranian protests. 5) Iran is far more geopolitically and economically significant than Peru.

Of course, there's no saying what the media coverage of Iran would have been like if Michael Jackson had died a couple of weeks earlier.