[lbo-talk] The great burqa debate

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Jul 2 07:33:28 PDT 2009

On Jul 2, 2009, at 3:59 AM, sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com wrote:

> http://67.222.134.214/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/the-newspaper/columnists/irfan-husain-the-great-burqa-debate-179

One aspect of this not mentioned below is that the burka makes its wearer absolutely invisible. Anything can be under there, including a man with one or several assault weapons and enough ammo to massacre hundreds. There is no reason why such a camouflage "costume" should be tolerated in public.

> [...]
> in France over the years, and there are many private Muslim schools
> in the country. Which Muslim country extends this degree of
> religious tolerance to its non-Muslim residents?
>
> The extent of the divergent opinions over the burqa issue can be
> judged by the reaction of Fadela Amara, a (Muslim) member of
> Sarkozy's cabinet. A founder of a women's rights group, Ms Amara has
> called the burqa 'a coffin that kills individual liberties', and a
> sign of the 'political exploitation of Islam.'
>
> Others have argued that a ban would fuel the Islamophobia already
> rife in French society. But by and large, even the most liberal
> European views burqas with unease, if not horror. The debate has
> crossed the Channel, with many British newspapers joining in. Marian
> Whittaker writes to the editor of the Guardian:
>
> 'The key point is this: the face is far too important to be covered.
> It is crucial both to being recognised as an individual and to
> communication between people. Facial expression and body posture
> (also masked by the burqa) contribute a huge proportion of the
> information we transmit to each other, irrespective of the voice… In
> this instance, I believe Sarkozy is dead right. The burqa deprives
> its wearer of identity and cuts her off from effective communication
> with the rest of society. It is not a sartorial choice, but an
> instrument of oppression in the guise of a religious observance…'
>
> In the same issue of the Guardian, Claire Dolman writes: '…there are
> many French women, like me, who find it very difficult to accept in
> our country 'women who are prisoners behind netting, cut off from
> all social life, deprived of identity.'
>
> Quite apart from the principle of free will involved here, how does
> wearing the burqa impact on Muslim women wearing it in the West?
> There have been anecdotal reports of muttered insults from passers-
> by. Some veiled women have been asked for job interviews, but when
> the prospective employer has seen the hijab or the burqa, applicants
> have been rejected.
>
> In one extreme case, a woman of Moroccan descent was denied French
> nationality, even though her children were automatically accorded
> the right as they had been born in France. According to Le Monde,
> the judge ruled that the woman had adopted 'in the name of a radical
> interpretation of her faith a social behaviour incompatible with the
> fundamental values of the French community, notably the principle of
> gender equality…'
>
> In such a tricky area where personal rights overlap and infringe on
> the values of the host population, it is difficult to see what is
> best for the individual burqa-clad Muslim woman.
>
> If pressed to voice an opinion, I would suggest if there is no
> coercion, a woman should be free to choose what she wants to wear.
> But if her choice has been formed by peer group or family pressure,
> she would be better off in less conspicuous garments.

Shane Mage