[lbo-talk] No oil for blood

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 2 10:52:45 PDT 2009

The critical issue is *control* over the energy resources of the region, not access to Iraq's supply in itself -- the USG hasn't seemed to care how long it's been largely off the market. The great threat from the US POV is the Shanghai Cooperation Organization and the incorporation of Mideast resources into the Asian energy grid.

US policies towards the Middle East were the same when it was a net exporter of oil, and remain the same today when US intelligence projects that the US itself will rely on more stable Atlantic Basin resources. Policies would be likely to be about the same if the US were to switch to renewable energy. The need to control the “stupendous source of strategic power” would remain. Jockeying over Central Asia and pipeline routes reflects similar concerns.

The war(s) have been a catastrophe only for the Iraqi (death and destitution) and American (debt) publics. Important American interests have done quite well, thank you (armaments & construction companies et al.). The seamless continuity of Bush and Obama Long War policy testifies to the continued effectiveness of the policy.

Geopolitically, for all the Bremeresque mismanagement (from Kissinger's shop) of the Iraq occupation, Bush/Obama have established the first secure military bases in a dependent client state at the heart of the world’s major energy reserves. These have been crucial policy concerns throughout the post-World War II period, even more so in today’s evolving tripolar world, with its threat that Europe and Asia might move towards greater independence, and worse, might be united: China and the EU became each other’s major trading partners in 2004, joined by the world’s second largest economy (Japan), and those tendencies are likely to increase. A firm hand on the spigot reduces these dangers. --CGE