[lbo-talk] No oil for blood

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 13:37:50 PDT 2009

On Jul 2, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2009, at 3:43 PM, Lew wrote:
>
>> Politicians are often ill-informed, but Alan Greenspan admitted
>> that the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq was really aimed at
>> protecting Middle East oil reserves. "I thought the issue of
>> weapons of mass destruction as the excuse was utterly beside the
>> point", he said. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2170602,00.html
>> ).
>
> Another assertion, quoted from an authority. Could you explain just
> how this works?

When attempting to explain someone's actions, what they believe to be the case is very often more important than what actually is. Colonialist governments in the 19c thought their expansions would provide wonderful export markets and found themselves disappointed, at least on that front.

Of course there may have been other motives floating around the foreign policy establishment, and there were elements that were opposed to it, &c. Lord knows they threw a good variety of arguments at the public.