[lbo-talk] Americans say they're moving right

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jul 6 20:44:02 PDT 2009

Carrol of course knows that he's parodying a well-known poem about universal benevolence by Sam Walter Foss (1858-1911), a new England librarian, newspaperman, and versifier.

In addition to the verses below, Foss wrote some high-minded jingoism like "The Coming American" (July 4, 1894), which contains the lines

Bring me men to match my mountains

Bring me men to match my plains

Men with empires in their purpose

And new eras in their brains...

In 1964 those lines were inscribed on a granite wall at the United States Air Force Academy at the base of a ramp leading to a parade field. "On in-processing day, new cadets arrive at the base of the ramp and start their transition into military and Academy life by ascending the ramp to the Terrazzo." It was known as the "Bring Me Men Ramp."

Following a 2003 sexual assault scandal, the lines were taken down and replaced with the Academy called its core values (later adopted as the Air Force's): "Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do." Now it's called "The Core Values Ramp."

*The House by the Side of the Road*

There are hermit souls that live withdrawn

In the place of their self-content;

There are souls like stars, that dwell apart,

in a fellowship firmament;

There are pioneer souls that blaze their paths

Where highways never ran--

But let me live by the side of the road

And be a friend to man.

Let me live in a house by the side of the road,

Where the race of men go by--

The men who are good and the men who are bad,

As good and as bad as I,

I would not sit in the scorner's seat,

Or hurl the cynic's ban--

Let me live in a house by the side of the road

And be a friend to man.

I see from my house by the side of the road,

By the side of the highway of life,

The men who press with the ardor of hope,

The men who are faint with the strife.

But I turn not away from their smiles nor their tears,

Both part of an infinite plan--

Let me live in a house by the side of the road

And be a friend to man.

I know there are brook-gladdened meadows ahead

And mountains of wearisome height;

That the road passes on through the long afternoon

And stretches away to the night.

But still I rejoice when the travelers rejoice,

And weep with the strangers that moan,

Nor live in my house by the side of the road

Like a man who dwells alone.

Let me live in my house by the side of the road--

It's here the race of men go by.

They are good, they are bad, they are weak, they are strong,

Wise, foolish -- so am I;

Then why should I sit in the scorners seat,

Or hurl the cynic's ban?