[lbo-talk] judge rules against ward churchill

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 8 05:55:48 PDT 2009

"farmelantj at juno.com" wrote:

> Except for perhaps a brief period in the early 1970s,
> American universities have always sucked in terms
> of upholding any sort of genuine academic freedom.
> Just read Thorstein Veblen on the subject from
> almost a century ago.
>
> *The higher learning in America*.

He wanted to subtitle it, "A Study in Human Depravity."

I agree with Jim, mostly, but an entertaining anecdote. When the man who had been English Department Chair retired a colleague threw a good-bye party for him. I was chatting with him at that party, when he said, "You were screwed. I won't admit this in public but you were screwed." He meant that _he_, at orders from higher up, had done the screwing (in 19710 WHICH LEFT ME IN WHAT i ONLY HALF JOKINGLY CALLED THE POSITION OF A TENURED TEMP FOR MOST OF MY 'CAREER.' Still, I wasn't fired, so Jim is mostly right about that perod.

Carrol