[lbo-talk] Americans say they're moving right

Left-Wing Wacko leftwingwacko at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:54:14 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 9:27 AM, <northsunm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This confuses conservative with not being open to changing ones ideas.
> But there are plenty of radical leftists who remain radical leftists into
> old age. Are they conservatives? Others change their views in old age and
> become conservative. I guess this makes them liberals!
> The whole idea of dividing the world into liberals and conservatives
> is a bit nutty or at least hopelessly imprecise. Is Justin Raimondo
> conservative or liberal. Obama is supposedly a liberal but on foreign policy
> issues such as Afghanistan he is more hawkish than Bush was.
>
> Cheers, k hanly

I would second the notion that the terms liberal vs conservative are hopelessly imprecise, but it seems nearly all political terminology is these days.

I for one have attempted to not call right-wing reactionaries "conservatives" because they seem to not be interested in conserving anything. Not oil, farm land, undeveloped land, or anything else. Why call that "conservative"?