[lbo-talk] Steve Jobs responds to Google Chrome OS

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 9 06:52:42 PDT 2009

I just started using Google Chrome since when I tried to upgrade to IE 8 I was told that my computer running Vista does not support it. Chrome seems to work OK so far. What is supposed to be wrong with it.

While I am here I might as well comment a little on the negotiations in Costa Rica. Given the positions of the two sides there doesn't really seem to be much to negotiate no matter how much the US desires it! The US still has not had the gumption to call the coup a coup. The US would love a compromise wherein Zelaya gets back in but has no power. That might be a position the coup could support!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/world/americas/08honduras.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print

uly 8, 2009 Two Leaders Accept Talks on Dispute in Honduras

By GINGER THOMPSON and MARC LACEY WASHINGTON — The ousted president of Honduras and the leader who has succeeded him in the nation’s de facto government agreed Tuesday for the first time to negotiate a resolution to the political crisis polarizing their country.

At the end of her first meeting with the deposed Honduran president, Manuel Zelaya, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton announced that the talks would be led by President Óscar Arias of Costa Rica, a Nobel Peace Prize winner who is considered one of the region’s most accomplished statesmen.

While Secretary Clinton reiterated the United States’ condemnation of Mr. Zelaya’s ouster, she stopped short of calling for his reinstatement, a departure from statements by President Obama earlier Tuesday and from the position taken by much of the international community.

When asked whether the United States viewed Mr. Zelaya’s return as central to the restoration of democratic order, she said that she did not want to “prejudge” the talks before they began.

“There are many different issues that will have to be discussed and resolved,” Mrs. Clinton said. “But I think it’s fair to let the parties themselves, with President Arias’s assistance, sort out all of these issues.”

A senior administration official said that Mr. Arias, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1987 for negotiating an end to conflicts that plagued Central America during the cold war, began quietly laying the groundwork to mediate the Honduran talks last week when it became clear that efforts by the Organization of American States had only hardened the resolve on both sides.

At the same time, the official said, United States diplomats, along with their counterparts from Canada, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador and Colombia, also began discussing the need for an outside mediator. The crucial turning point, said several officials close to the deliberations, came Sunday, when Mr. Zelaya’s attempt to return to Honduras set off deadly demonstrations outside its main airport.

That afternoon, officials said, Roberto Micheletti, the head of the de facto government, issued an urgent call for negotiations. On Monday he dispatched a delegation of businessmen, legislators and other civil servants to Washington and reached out to Mr. Arias.

Aides to Mr. Arias called Mrs. Clinton’s office to see whether the United States would support his mediation. And on Tuesday, she presented the plan to Mr. Zelaya. Officials said that before endorsing the idea, Mr. Zelaya asked to speak with Mr. Arias himself, and that the State Department facilitated the call.

Mrs. Clinton characterized her meeting with Mr. Zelaya as “positive.” An official who attended the session said Mr. Zelaya added a moment of levity to the meeting, making light of how soldiers rousted him from his home early in the morning and put him on a plane leaving the country.

“What have Latin American presidents learned from Honduras?” he asked Mrs. Clinton.

As the secretary shook her head, Mr. Zelaya smiled and said, “To sleep with our clothes on and our bags packed.”

In Tegucigalpa, the Honduran capital, Mr. Zelaya’s wife made her first public appearance since her husband’s ouster, joining hundreds of demonstrators in a march to the American Embassy, where they praised the Obama administration for refusing to recognize the de facto government.

“We see here the real people,” said Xiomara Castro de Zelaya, addressing a crowd made up of union members, farmers and other members of the working class.

Meanwhile, thousands of flag-waving opponents of Mr. Zelaya gathered downtown, and hung piñatas bearing the faces of Mr. Zelaya and the leftist leaders of Venezuela, Cuba, Nicaragua and Bolivia.

“What we’re saying today is we want to be united,” said Juan Diego Zelaya, a candidate for deputy mayor from the conservative National Party. “This is not rich versus poor.”

>From Washington, Mrs. Clinton urged Hondurans on all sides to remain calm.

“Our goal has been to reach the point where we are now,” she said, “which is to get the parties talking to each other, and not through us or third parties.”

Mr. Zelaya, a close ally of the Venezuelan president, Hugo Chávez, has been accused of flouting the law in an effort to amend the Constitution so he can run for re-election. His opponents — who include a broad cross-section of Honduran society — said those charges led to his ouster.

Still, speaking from Russia early Tuesday, President Obama said there was a greater principle at stake: “America supports now the restoration of the democratically elected president of Honduras, even though he has strongly opposed American policies.”

Ginger Thompson reported from Washington, and Marc Lacey from Tegucigalpa, Honduras.

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html