[lbo-talk] Steve Jobs responds to Google Chrome OS

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 9 10:57:39 PDT 2009

ken hanly wrote:

The US still has not had the gumption to call the coup a coup.

Ken, it is necessary to lose the kneejerk habit of blaming all obnoxious actions as representing "lack of gumption" or "stupidity" etc. The phrase implies that the United States is _really_ a kind and good power, but unfortunately it has a character defect of not being courageous enough. If the U.S. were only more courageous we wouldn't have these problems.

Now you don't mean that I know. But that is what you really saying when you use such phrases.

Just as those who call the Democrats weak or opportunist or incompetent are really saying the DP has the good of humanity at heart but just doesn't have the brains and courage to carry out the policies that deep in their hearts they really believe in.

Carrol