[lbo-talk] More on Kenneally

mart media314159 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 12 07:38:57 PDT 2009

an old paper by ernst mayr (i think in the 70's, in science) argued basically that the neodarwinian synthesis really did not exclude punctuated equilibrium---gradualism and rapid change both could be accomodated in the theory. Gould it seemed to me was really marketing or branding his approach, to make it look more important an advance than it was. However, because incrementalism for many was taken to be dogma, maybe his 'aggresive' marketing campaign was neccesary to get heard. More recently many mathematical models make punctuaTEd equilibrium quite plausible for many simple genetic models. This idea is similar to mathematical chaos (ie apparently random behavior of deterministic systems) which previously was thought to be nonexistant or uncommon (with the view that the Newtonian universe was clocklike---it can be seen that way, but like real clocks they eventually accumulate small errors that diverge to infinity, and hence are apparently random.

Even planetary motions often are chaotic over long periods of times).

I thought that 'species selection' was gould's most interesting idea because that seems to really stretch evolutionary theory conceptually outside the way its usual way of thinking, of acting on individuals, or groups. Its possible to conceive of that in the usual gene-based terms, but its a stretch (to me). My impression is Gould really did not enter or give justice to group selection controversies/arguments, even though he did write on units of selection. He seemed to stay out of that debate (possibly because it was heated, between d s wilson and dawkins, williams, etc.)

Lewontin said in NYRB that he had fired Rashevsky at U Chicago in the 60's and also that Rashevsy's work (in math biol) has had zero impact on the literature. That I think shows lewontin's limitations. Rashevsky pretty much was a pioneer in what is now called complexity theory, and even cultural evolutionary theory, systems biology and evolutionary game theory. He has math models in the 50's which use an older notation but conceptually are similar to what is state of the art (including I gather ones done by authors who are mentioned in Kenneally's book). Lewontin is a molecular biologist essentially and isn't really into the big picture, and even stifles it a bit (as was done by Cjhomsky for language evolution). (While he doesn't acknowledge rashevsky---who was pretty out there at times---i did see lewontin a few years ago and he seemed to have relaxed a bit, saying actually biology, and science, is what biologists and scientists do, so today

that might incklude rashevsky).

I think it can also be pointed out that while Mismeasure of man by gould and lewontin is a classic, it hasn't made much of a dent in behavior genetics research, and is in need of updating if that is possible. (The factor analyses discussion i think is a classic, even if it might need updating.) They emphasized gene-environment interactions, but the math involved in that, and experimental designs to test for it, is very difficult (if even possible) and so is its infancy. They really didn't develop their critique into a powerful form. Lewontin's Not in Our Genes had one equation basically saying you have 3 terms (genes, environment, and interaction) and left it at that; just saying this refutes all behavior genetic studies. It doesn't cut it.