[lbo-talk] More on Kenneally

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Jul 13 11:16:27 PDT 2009

I am not sure what you mean by "evolutionary basis". If by that you mean simply that it's a feature we inherited from a common ancestor (common with primates), sure, why not. No problem. On the other hand, if you mean that human language is an adaptation, then I fail to see how the above establishes that. ravi

Stop. I tried to summarize what I read in Kenneally. I have my own theories on all of this, but none of them are in the posts I've written. I listened to a couple of lectures on YouTube, but beyond that I have no idea what any of these people are doing in enough detail to argue with their work one way or another.

Kenneally is trying to cover a lot of ground in a general overview. Try to remember I was reporting on how she laid out the arguments...

``Indians do seem to be winning these spelling bees, and clearly we have been successful in the evolutionary game (there are a billion of us), so perhaps there is a selective advantage to spelling skills?''

Chompsky, Chomsky. Consider the p silent. BTW, it was a typo and mental habit of writing the way I speak. No insult was intended. My excuse is that I am running emacs on XP and the spell dictionaries don't work in the import.

As to the adaptive advantages, oh, yes there certainly are. I had to take freshman composition three times, and I was flunked out of senior English in high school.

It gets worse. I am terrible at foreign languages and only took the easy ones...Spanish, French and Italian.... I couldn't spell them either, especially French.

CG