[lbo-talk] Abolition as self-help

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Jul 15 16:08:35 PDT 2009

This was a fascinating essay. Thanks for posting it. It helps explain a lot of my lack of understanding the student generations since about the late 70s when I basically couldn't `read' the new students coming into the student service project.

One concept these later generations didn't seem to get was the university was absolutely not your friend. The university was the enemy. When the UCB administration picked a new director, they picked a woman from the midwest who was a career administrator. She literally didn't understand the project was founded on confrontational and antagonistic terms with the administration and state agencies. So she thought her job was to administer guys like me, as in regulate my job activities---put a leash on the mad dogs of hippydom.

It was deep culture-class conflict. She thought she got to her position of power because of her success story skill set. She had no idea she was picked precisely to get rid of the quasi-radical culture that had developed at the program. I am pretty sure to this day, she never understood her own mediocrity was the exact skill set needed to dissolve the political struggles we were engaged in.

Because of the asymmetry of power between us, I was not going to win any disagreement, and the disagreements came within months. I had to leave.

CG