[lbo-talk] More on Kenneally

mart media314159 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 01:30:22 PDT 2009

i think actually this the state of the art view people are coming around to---though phrased differently (people are primed not to be blank slates). i haven't read kenneally but s. kirby who apparently she discusses in a sense does this 'just-so-theory' via agent based modeling. i do think animals have 'proto'language, even if they dont speak spanglish or quebecois or ghettoese. i'd imagine asl actually is more comprehensible to them---i even use it (or sign language in general) with animals --they seem to get it. as for grammar not everyone needs it---one big 'attack' on chomsky which is in the litterture looked at a tribe in amazonia who had very little math sense/aka 'recursion'. they also didn't need abstract algebra (beyond intuition).