[lbo-talk] Che

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 16 10:43:00 PDT 2009

At 10:20 AM 7/16/2009, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>pretty much Kubrick's entire body of work -- lack of sentiment,
>efficient storytelling and the opportunity to fall, after a fashion,
>into a dream of technique.

That's what I like about Kubrick too. But the other night I watched 2001 from about midway on, starting with the Odyssey on its way to Jupiter. It was on the Encore Mystery channel!

I didn't intend to watch all of it but got sucked in. It was a long time since I'd seen it and I was left a little baffled because the ending seemed sentimental in a way I didn't expect from Kubrick. I've never read the book. Is Clarke's ending more hard-nosed?

>To me, this is the loveliest form of escapism, much more satisfying
>and realized than what's typically seen in the types of movies usually
>given that label (romance, scifi, fantasy, costume dramas, etc).

I bought the soundtrack to Vertigo a few months ago. I listen to it in the car all the time and that's lovely too. The more I do it the more it becomes like time travel.

Btw, this soundtrack is one of the few cds I've bought in years. I am currently going through my old cds to get them ready to trade for books. Phil Spector was right. LPs are generally two good songs and a lot of crap.