[lbo-talk] Case Study House No. 22

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Jul 17 16:02:01 PDT 2009

I'd be curious to know who here has seen this photo by Shulman? Dennis Claxton

I studied it in some art class back in 60s. And then re-found recently and looked at it for a long time remembering it.

I don't know if influence is the right word, maybe Shulman was just part of a whole Modernist sensibility. You can see similar stills in North by Northwest and some of Antonioni, La Notte for example. A painter up here name Elmer Bischoff did a series of paintings based on similar night scenes interiors against glass walls and cityscapes. You can also find a similar asymmetrical shift of the composition in some of Richard Diebenkorn's works.

I suspect Shulman himself might have been influenced by Hopper's nighthawks. I was really influenced by this whole crowd and tried to do paintings based on some this. Bad choice. That's how I flunked my first comprehensive.

CG