[lbo-talk] Triple Your Lizard

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 08:32:19 PDT 2009

When I moved from the BosWash megalopolis, where a two hour drive is (often) considered a long way because it takes you to such a radically different place, to California, where it takes most folks more than three hours to get even close to leaving the state and their identity includes an association with the beach, different cities and valleys up and down the state and the coastal and eastern mountains, the meaning of distance shifts rather radically. Moving to the midwest, despite distances more like the west, the meaning of distance in more like the east... folks here don't get around... Michiganders summer, on lakes, here and imagine that 70 degrees is warm and good enough to swim in... really!? oy... Surely, Chris, you know that 8 hours in a car in Europe is forever... -A

********************************************************* Alan P. Rudy Visiting Associate Professor Dept. Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work Central Michigan University 124 Anspach Hall Mt Pleasant, MI 48858 517-881-6319