[lbo-talk] Triple Your Lizard

Left-Wing Wacko leftwingwacko at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 09:29:51 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Percival Myers <permaceaem at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Chris Doss wrote:
> >
> > They do not travel widely. Most Americans don't travel widely.
>
> What does "travel widely" mean? Serious question, because: from many
> places in western Europe it is possible to travel 50 miles from home,
> see two or more countries, and be considered as a person who has
> traveled; the number of Americans who've never traveled more than 50
> miles from home is diminishingly small.
>
> Percy

In my travels, mainly in Latin America, I have always been surprised and fascinated by the various changes that are immediately noticeable simply by crossing national borders by land. This is even when the dominant and/or indigenous languages and cultures are the same or similar. My first experience, Nicaragua-Costa Rica was radically different for many well known reasons of history and national development. Between Peru-Bolivia or Mexico-Guatemala the differences were less a matter of economic development (I think), and the indigenous cultures on either side are very closely related, but still various differences in architecture and constructions methods seemed to grab my attention.

So despite relatively short distances, modern national boundaries can make a big difference in considering what "traveling widely" means.

Sheldon