[lbo-talk] Triple Your Lizard

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 07:43:51 PDT 2009

My students in mid-Michigan don't even travel to the big city... Ann Arbor, much less Flint, Detroit or Chicago (and the few that do, for sporting or big cultural events, always roll their windows up on Woodward Avenue for fear of car-jacking) ... I guess they're a little more likely to go to Grand Rapids... oy. They only go to Canada to drink before they are 21, since the majority of them vacation in Michigan two or three hours north of where they live, in Michigan.

They haven't been taught about and don't read about their own history and are generally ignorant of and freaked out by "Others", perhaps most especially those in Michigan... they know Motown music but nothing about its history in Detroit (and, of course, have never heard of the MC5). Hell, I'd be happy if they just went to and learned something about local rural and urban social and environmental history... even the "left"ish students are neo-Malthusian technophiles who see the urban poor in the global North and rural poor in the global South as key sources of the problems they care about.

If they even travelled to and knew the differences between Detroit, Chicago, the Twin Cities, NY, LA and Houston - which for them would be wildly diverse - their level of cosmopolitanism would be increased by multiple orders of magnitude and while some would become more close-minded most would become more receptive to more complex and provocative takes on the world.